When you tell someone you work from home, the first normal reaction is jealousy. Everyone envisions wearing pajamas, not waking up so early, and cutting out a morning commute. I started working from home a little over a month ago, at first it was more challenging. I felt alone all the time and without a set schedule I had a hard time staying focused. However, I finally found my groove after trial and error.
Follow these tips to help you succeed when working from home:
1. Set up an exact spot in your home or apartment that is your “office” everyday. It can be a corner or even a chair in your kitchen that is near everything you need to be productive.
2. To signal the workday is over instead of your typical commute home, set up a routine. I enjoy reading, working out, or going for a walk. It does not have to be long, even a five minute walk can help your body realize the work portion of your day is over.
3. Though it is tempting to work in p.j.’s all day, I find I am more productive if i get up and shower.
4. Make sure you take time to socialize. No one enjoys being alone all the time, I felt extremely isolated the first few weeks of work. I love working from coffee shops with other friends who also work from home a few days a week.
5. Turn the TV off. Even though those Sex and the City reruns look appealing, it will keep you from staying focused on work.
6. Remind roommates and friends that you are indeed working even though you are staying at home.
7. Clean your apartment or home, a cluttered apartment is a cluttered mind. I tend to be very distracted when my apartment is not tidy.
8. Set a scheduled lunch time, it is easy to continue working and not remember to take breaks. I pretend I have a lunch break to break up my day. The beauty of working from home is your lunch break can be running to the gym, laundry, or a favorite TV show.