It happens every year, I feel like I am ready for the holiday madness, but I become overwhelmed with stress. This year, I decided I would take the time to enjoy the season and not feel busy by preparing early. After all, the holidays are meant for enjoying time with family and friends not stressing over silly hostess gifts.
*My Christmas cards this year gifted from Tiny Prints
Tips to Not Become Overwhelmed this Holiday Season
1. Put the tree up early and take it down late. I put up my tree the second week of November and boom it is done. Even though I want to enjoy the season of Thanksgiving without Christmas intruding, this makes my life a lot easier. I typically take my tree down after New Years when I am exhausted from the holidays and just want to stay in. Also, my grandmother always said it was bad luck to take down your tree before the new year, this to me is permission to procrastinate.
2. Address Christmas cards in November. I ordered my Christmas cards through Tiny Prints beginning of November. I then went ahead and addressed them. I will wait until a more appropriate date to send out, but this way its done and I can worry about other pressing matters.
3. Purchase hostess gifts now. I know I will be attending a few holiday parties this year. I purchased a few generic hostess gifts and keep them wrapped and ready for when I attend a party. This saves me time and I do not have to scramble at the last minute to find the perfect bottle of wine.
4. Set a date for holiday parties with friends such as friendsgiving ahead of time. Since everyone is so busy during this season, my friends and I planned out friendsgiving the first week of November. The date is set and we do not have to worry about other obligations not allowing time to celebrate with friends. I created a calendar category on my iCal that is for the holidays so I do not miss any important events.
5. Start Christmas shopping early. I began shopping in October when I would see things on sale or something I knew a friend would love. I hate buying a gift just because I need one and not buying something I know the recipient will love. For any last gifts I finish up on cyper Monday. I do not fair well with long lines and being patient in stores for black Friday. This takes a lot of stress out of holiday shopping and allows for thoughtful gifts.
With these tips, you will be kicked back enjoying Christmas movies while sipping on eggnog instead of feeling stressed over the holidays.
Do you become overwhelmed during the holidays? If so, what helps you relieve that stress?